Monday, May 10, 2010

franz schubert / quintet in c

for the past few months i've wanted to do nothing but listen to late-classical chamber works. i've fought this urge, since i fear of over doing it, but it is all too rewarding to immerse myself into this genre. and nothing, as of late, sates my ears quite like schubert's lone string quintet in c. even amidst its internal conflicts, these four movements (for two cellos, two violins, one viola) soothe my busy mind and slow down the inexplicable and rapid world around me. i believe the peculiar instrumentation has a bit to do with my reactions and attachment -- two cellos, as opposed to two violas, creates a robust lower register, generating a richer, fuller tonal language than i could find in quartets or traditional (ie mozart-esque) quintets. sometimes it is affecting enough to make me want to bathe naked in the sun whilst humming the first movements...in fact, i may just go do that now... (here)

1 comment:

  1. Message for Matthew (treblekicker on RYM)- Thanks for your recent rating. I clicked your profile and saw you have a radio show. If you want some free CDs to play on air, send me your mailing address:
    joefrawleymusic [at] hotmail.com

    Thanks -JF

    ReplyDelete